Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kade's Allergic

On Sunday the 18th we had a few people over for dinner. Well after dinner Kade had a few bites of a peanut butter sandwich... HE LOVED IT... he begged for more. About an hour after he had the peanut butter his nose really started to run and he really began to cough. It was almost bedtime so I went to get his bottle. He was crying and acting miserable so I gave him some Benadryl... hoping to help with the draining from his nose and the cough. I gave him the bottle and took him into the other room to drink it. He laid down and started to drink except it was like he couldn't breathe very well so he could drink very well. We waiting another 15 min to see if it would get better.

After 15 minutes he wasn't getting better only getting worse. He was having a hard time breathing and he had scratched his ear to the point of bleeding. Mike and I were very concerned we decided to take him to the instacare right up the street. We put him immediately in the car and left.

When we drove into the parking lot of the instacare we knew it was closed. We turned around and headed for the ER. When we got to the ER I took him in and told the front nurse that I thought he was having an allergic reaction to Peanut Butter. The nurse took us immediately back and before we could sit down the doctor was in the room taking off Kade's clothes. The doctor looked and Kade and said he didn't think he was having an allergic reaction but that he thought he had a virus. I told the doctor that he had only had the symptoms for about an hour. The doctor changed his mind and started treating him for an allergic reaction. The nurse gave him some IV Benadryl and within minutes he was breathing fine and asleep.

I took Kade to Dr. Glade a few days later and he gave me a prescription for an EpiPen Jr. and referred me to an allergist. I called the allergist he referred me to and found out they were scheduling to May. I really didn't want to wait... I felt like I needed to know if he was allergic to something that could be so dangerous. I called Gayla and she said to call an allergist down in Provo. I called his office and they got me appointment for today the 28th.

Kade and I just got back from the doctor where they tested him for several different things. We found out today that Kade is allergic to Peanuts and Eggs. This means no NUTS of any kind and nothing that is made with these products. He has also asked us to watch for things that are made that may have come in contacts with Peanuts.

I feel a bit stressed out... am I not the one that has to really deal with it for the rest of my life.

The doctor did say that there is nothing that we could have done differently... that should make me feel better but it doesn't really. He also said to get him retested in a few years that he may grow out of some of the allergy...

I guess we will see.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh....man little guy. At least you know now.

Carrie said...

Peanuts and eggs...I can't imagine having to try and find food that doesn't have those in it or hasn't been manufactured around nuts and eggs! I'm sorry, Pam! I bet there is plenty of info and support online to make your life easier! Good luck!

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

Yuck! There is a lady in my ward who has a son that is allergic to eggs. I bet she has tons of recipes if you want me to find out...